Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mobile Currency: Leave Your Wallet At Home

Although the mobile movement has been progressing for some time now, it wasn’t until late last year that I started to really come onboard. Being the poor college student and then the poor newly unemployed graduate, I had never chosen anything but the “free” phones when selecting or continuing my cell phone plans. These usually had the small screens with decent (but not optimal) resolution and maybe, if I was lucky, there would be a camera phone included. I chose the most basic plan, opting for a small limited amount of text messages. The data plans cost as much as monthly apartment utilities, so I opted to pay for those instead of a mobile internet connection. I think I even frowned when my husband insisted that we upgrade to the unlimited text messaging plan because he felt he couldn’t stay within our limit. BUT all this changed last November when I got my new AT&T Tilt AND the unlimited data plan. Now, I text carelessly, sending one word responses, images, and audio. I browse the net, check my email, and update my twitter. And to think, this is just the surface of mobile technology.

In a previous CMGT 530 class, Glen had mentioned how he was working on a mobile feature that would use a stored scannable image as a way to pay for L.A. parking meters and tickets. A further extension of this process (which I’m not quite sure if it’s currently being developed, but with the speed of mobile technology these days it is highly possible) would allow all currency to become digital. Each credit/debit card would turn into a scannable image stored on one’s mobile phone. There would no longer be a need for a physical wallet nor cash as well. When checking out, one would only have to pull up the barcode-like image of the credit/debit account that they wish to pay out of, scan, and then voila! the amount would be charged to or deducted from the corresponding accounts. Each image could be password protected for security purposes, or better yet, fingerprint scanners could be added to cellphones and each scan of an account image would require print verification before processing, hindering identity theft. If one opts in for GPS tracking, their wallet could never really be lost. When one applies for a new credit debit card, the bank would just need to send the image to one’s cellphone, no need for plastic, a letter, envelope, or stamp.

The technology is there for this to happen, I guess the question now is if the market is going to go in this direction and if it will be accepted. I can see where the barriers lie in this type of currency. Card scanners, although in existence, are the in the minority in comparison to their “slide” counterparts. Also, there are many “cash only” businesses. Either they would need to succumb to accepting card (image) transactions or people would still need to carry cash with them. I’m sure credit card and card slide machine manufacturers wouldn’t be too happy about this either. But if one really thinks about it, that is the nature of technology evolution. A year ago, I wouldn’t have thought this would be a feasible idea. But with the accessibility to mobile technology growing and evolving, digital mobile currency seems like a natural progression.

1 comment:

Ed Cohen said...

I'm still on the free phone and don't have any complaints. I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I have to wonder, though, where low-income people come up with the money for cell service. It really is NOT a necessity, but then neither are new cars and low-income people often drive them. It's all a matter of priorities, I guess. Perhaps economic incentives for the cash-less economy you describe will prompt the development of a low-priced scanning/spending machine instead of it being an add-on to a cell phone.